Monday, February 23, 2015

The Iron Sleet Servo-painters... part 2 Kari

The second for today... and not least



Hi Kari and welcome to Legatho's warehouse!

Could you introduce yourself

Hello everybody! My name is Kari Hernesniemi, I'm 32-years-old and live in Finland. My first encounter with the hobby was back in the early 90's when I stumbled in to the Old World of 3rd edition Warhammer Fantasy Battle. I grew up collecting and painting a small army of Dwarves – and some Squats too. I've been painting miniatures for 10 to 15 years, depending the way of calculation.



Around 2004-05 I came back to the hobby, with new skills and visions based on nostalgia and memories. I started collecting old miniatures, building armies I used to paint and play with when I was a keen young teenager. This "Old Hammer" period lasted for nearly half a decade. I never finished an army, but started many – One of them being another old school Dwarf army.

In 2011 I traveled to Nottingham to take part in Golden Demon. I got my entry (The Goblyn Slayer) to finals (even though it was in three parts) but left without a demon. That didn't really matter at all, as I had a chance to meet and greet the artist whose art has had a great influence in me – John Blanche. That was a beginning of a new era in my hobby.



Could you tell us your vision of Warhammer 40k/ Inq28?

The dystopian future of the mankind is grim as hell, graphic and murderous place to try and survive. It's a realm of fear, Lovencraftian some could say. Even beautiful is bias, just "less ugly" or grotesque. This is the theme that I try to wrap my miniatures in. My vision is very much build around the images drawn and painted by John Blanche and Ian Miller.


What are your main sources of inspiration?

I get inspiration form many things, but the primary sources are – of course – John Blanche's art and the books like old Realm of Chaos and such. Horus Heresy novels are great too, though some of them maybe a bit too "heroic" for my liking. I could also pinpoint timeless modern design as an inspiration as well, as I like to make things look like if they have a reason and a function in the universe they serve. I like to balance this with chaos, so I get myself familiar with the abstract art, sometimes doing it myself too. I thing some Finnish artists like Akseli Gallen-Kallela have also given me some inspiration when it comes to adding that extra "Nordic Grim" touch in to what I do.


How do you choose your paint schemes? Do you stay on a coherency or did the mini told you how it want to be painted?

Keep it simple. One main colour and maybe one accent, very pale skin tones, rust and other weathering effects. That's pretty much my current style that I'm comfort to live with.


What are your favorites bitz?

Empire Flagellant heads are a must! I could have a fist-full of them and still run short.


Do you have any project on your workbench?

Indeed I do. Iron Sleet's INVITATIONAL (http://ironsleet.com/category/invitational/) is keeping me busy. I'm currently building my third art-scale Renegade Astartes that will be the part of All Your Bases Are Belong To Us challenge.


Last step, choose one of your minis (your favorite one) and tell us why. I'll do the same with what you made I prefer.

Hmm... I would have to go with the first Arco Evisorator, the Stryderre. The semi-original design that is strongly based on Arco Flagellants makes the thing also stand out. The Stryderre spawned the lot of Arco Evisorators that I made for John Blanche, the ones that were introduced in Warhammer Visions #12.


... It 's the same for me.... as I have already said in "Portrait of an usual slaughter"... 


Thank you for  reading

No comments:

Post a Comment