Thursday, February 5, 2015

He's coming from the darkest corners of the hobby


Today, I'd like to introduce an other very talented artist, nothing more than PDH


Hi Peter and welcome to Legatho's Warehouse!
Could you introduce yourself
I live in the North West of England, UK. I’ve been painting and modelling a bit over 20 years now. I’ve only ever had one painted army and that was an Emperor’s Children army during 2nd edition. The army included my first conversion; Chaos Lord Tyrell made from Abbadon and simply swapping his lightening claw for a combi melta and snipping off his topknot. Then 3rd Edition came out and I pretty much gave up as it made my army illegal (plus girls were getting much more interesting than little lead men). During this hiatus I would occasionally paint a model and read Black Library books.
I got back into it in 2006 and had a couple of unpainted armies (Eldar and Death Guard) and got back into Necromunda, my favourite game. I stripped and painted up my old Cawdor gang and some odd Inquisitor models. Then in 2010 I came across Migsula, Northen and Col Hammer’s Jade Vessel blog and joined Dakka to show off my burgeoning Skavvy Gang. From that I met Commissar Molotov, his championing of Inq28 really spurred me on. From his endeavours I now have a like minded gaming group and a little bit of the 40k universe to set my characters in (cheers Mol). My proudest hobby moments have been getting Inquisitor Benadice and her Retinue into Blanchitsu/White Dwarf and taking part in the Yggdrassillium game.
When I am not 40king it I like nothing better than getting out into the countryside. Bivvying in the winter is a miserably joyous experience. I really should start a mixed blog about 40k and Bivvying lol.
Could you tell us your vision of Warhammer 40k/ Inq28?
My vision of 40k is John Blanche’s artwork – so pipes and bionics are massively important. Plus the drawings from Codex Witch Hunters

What are your main sources of inspiration?
My gaming group inspire me, John and Neil especially. John’s passion for 40k is just fantastic, never ending ideas, he is so enthusiastic and generous. Games Workshop, Art galleries, Dark Heresy books, cool mini, Dakka and the Ammo Bunker, films etc. One of the biggest inspirations for me are the new blogs that appear on the Ammobunker’s INQ28 Painting & Modelling section....it’s a shame some of them don’t run to completion (it is called painting and modelling not just modelling).
How do you choose your paint schemes? Do you stay on a coherency or did the mini told you how it want to be painted?
Most of my miniatures tend to be wearing dull/dark colours because I see that as grounding them in reality. Of course a splash of colour is needed to bring them to life. If I am painting a group of characters their outfits can all be different but their bases will all match to tie them together. I usually have a general idea of the colour scheme before I start painting but sometimes that goes out the window. Or I paint something one colour and it just doesn’t work so I just paint over it...the joy of keeping your paint layers thin. Eg Salia Veeta's robe was originally pastel blue/green but it looks awful so I repainted it cream.

 Hello you....
What are your favorites bitz?
Anything that I can use for a conversion....but I guess my favourite models at the moment are Dark Vengeance Cultists because the fuss has died down I am giving them a whirl. Ungor arms because they are so nicely proportioned. Plus the most important bits pouches and shoulder pads in all shapes and sizes.
Do you have any project on your workbench?
Ha ha do I! Waiting for paint/half painted: Two Word Bearer Space Marines, 4 Eccliesiarchy types, a Nurgle Rogue Trader, A Skitarii and a Squat (Mary Bones who has been on the table since 2010ish...she needs converting and her boob hiding).
Modelling: Bits for two Ogryn, five more Mercenaries, a Chimera (it’s on the floor next to the table so I think it counts) and a Cairn Wraith to be turned into a Techpriest. I’ll also have 10 tech thralls with Mitralocks on my desk in the next couple of weeks. It turns out I am trying to make myself a small 1000pts Astra Militarum Veteran army/NPC’s for Inquisitor. With this army each squad can have a completely different feel to it and fingers crossed I won’t get too bored painting the same colour over and over.
Last step, choose one of your minis (your favorite one) and tell us why. I'll do the same with what you made I prefer.
At the moment I have two favourite minis:
Eccliesiarchy Priest Sonerhud – because it was my most ambitious green stuffing. He is based on the Priest Windows from the Emperor’s Will book and I have the original painting hanging above my painting desk. Each time I look at the painting it inspires me.

The other is my Ordo Malleus - Storm Trooper Warden Rence Thenes. I was really lucky to have been given the head as a gift from John. It has such a superior air to it and a pompousness. The rest of the model came together around the head. It is also such a pleasure to turn chaotic models into loyal imperial subjects.

My turn now . And I must say it is very difficult to choose. But I do have a special mention for the fantastic Scavvy Boss you made for Necromunda....


So thank you Peter and we continue to feast our eyes.
Thank you for reading

3 comments:

  1. Haha, going for Peter was a very good call! Some of my favourite INQ28 models come from his collection. Great series, keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. More to come soon... i'm waiting for all the ironsleet team interviews.... asked Kari to give Mikko and Migs the schedule

    ReplyDelete